My Holiday MakeupWednesday, September 30, 2015
As you know I've recently been on a family holiday to Greece and I thought I'd show you the make up I used whilst I was there and tell you what I liked about each product. I took a lot more than I used and some of it I didn't use at all but I thought I'd show you today the products from the make up I took that I actually used whilst I was on holiday. I took a small make up bag which was a free gift as part of a gift with purchase from Clinique a couple of years ago but I think it's a really nice "holiday inspired" make up bag and I also took my Naked Palette from Urban Decay, I took way too much to be honest and didn't use most of it so next year I think I'll be referring back to this post to stop me making the same mistake again.
1. The Urban Decay Naked Palette - I bought this palette on the aeroplane on the way to Greece in 2010 and paid £25.00 for it which was a bargain price, I don't use it all the time but do find myself using it more in the summer. It's a really versatile palette and you can achieve many different make up looks with it from a full on smoky eye to a slick of colour all over the lid and blended out it's a really handy palette especially for travelling with. The shades I used most are the first 6 shades from left to right starting with Virgin then Sin, Naked, Side Car, Buck and Half Baked, I mostly used Buck which is a nice matte mid brown shade as a transitional shade using Sin all over the lid and Virgin in the inner corners of my eyes or another look I liked was using Half Baked all over my lid and blended out and then some Half Baked under my lower lash line and blended out with a touch of Virgin in the inner corners of my eyes, I found my eyes looked really blue when I used this look, and for a simple look I'd blend Side Car all over my lid and under the lower lash line and blend it out, three simple looks that were lovely for holidays finished off with some black mascara and black eyeliner on my upper water line and feathered through my upper lashes, super easy looks that looked lovely. You can buy the Urban Decay Naked Palette from Feel Unique, here for £38.00 including delivery.
2. Maybelline Lasting Drama 24 Hour Gel Pencil In Beyond Black - I only bought this eye liner a few weeks before we went on holiday after seeing it by chance when shopping for some holiday beauty products, I picked it up thinking I'd give it a try and I'd take it away with me and see what I thought, I have a full review post here if you'd like to read it. I used the eye liner on my upper water line and feathered through my upper lashes, since I have hooded eyes and cannot carry off a winged liner look I have adapted a look using liner on my upper water line and through my upper lashes that doesn't make my already hooded eyes look worse. I cannot find an online link for the liner but you can find it in store at Boots and Superdrug for £4.99.
3. My MAC Quad - This is my MAC quad which I put together myself using my most used MAC eye shadows, I have 2 MAC 15 palettes but found myself using these 4 shadows more than others so put them into a quad palette which makes things so much easier especially when travelling. The shades in my quad are from L-R top to bottom, Wedge, Mystery, Blanc Type and Omega, I use Omega for my brows using a MAC 208 brush, Blanc Type is a lovely white/cream shade ideal used as an all over lid shade, Wedge is a beautiful transition shade and Mystery a beautiful shade ideal for the crease and that is exactly how I use them to create a subtle smoky eye but using more of the Mystery I can deepen the crease to create a more dramatic look, I run some of the Wedge and Mystery under the lower lash line and blend it out, I also like to use Wedge all over the lid and blended out and under the lower lash line and blended out too is a lovely easy look and one I've been wearing a lot recently. You can buy the MAC quad palette from the MAC website here for £5.00 and the individual eye shadow pans from Selfridges, John Lewis, Debenhams, House Of Fraser and the MAC website for £10.00 each.
4. Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara - When it comes to mascara 99% of the time I choose a waterproof one because I struggle with my mascara smudging on my socket bone or "blobbing" as I call it, it's the bane of my life and happens with almost all non waterproof mascaras. I adore the original lash sensational mascara (full review here) and when my eldest daughter kindly bought me the waterproof version I put it away to take on my holidays along with another mascara I wanted to try (post coming soon) This mascara was brilliant and didn't blob at all, I wore it in an evening and it lasted all evening without running or smudging even in the extreme Greek heat, I do have a full review of the mascara here so I won't go on too much but it is brilliant an didn't move, my lashes looked great too, I would definitely recommend trying it especially if like me you love the original. You can buy the Waterproof Lash Sensational Mascara from Superdrug here or from Boots here for £7.99.
5. MAC Lipstick In Impassioned - I love bright lipsticks and Impassioned is bright, it's a gorgeous bright pink with coral undertones, pinks and corals are my favourite summer lip colour so this fitted perfectly into my holiday makeup bag. Impassioned compliments many different make up looks but on holiday I chose to wear a neutral look whenever I applied my make up and Impassioned looked lovely with it, it is brilliant for adding some brightness to an all black or all white outfit or just as a lovely bright summer lip colour, if you like bright lips you'll love it. Impassioned applies beautifully, the wear time is excellent and it's comfortable on the lips, I love it. You can find Impassioned here on the MAC website for £15.50.
6. Nars Satin Lip Pencil In Yu - This Nars lip pencil is lovely, it is a bright blue toned fuchsia pink, it applies beautifully and the wear time is extraordinary and it is by far one the longest lasting lip products I have ever tried, I do have a full review here if you'd like to read it but it is a lovely product and one I thought would be nice with a lot of my holiday outfits, it looks great with a bright outfit but equally as nice with an all black outfit. I wore this lip colour more than any of the others I wore on holiday and received so many compliments on it, it's beautiful. If you'd like to try it you can find it here at Space NK or here at John Lewis for £19.00.
7. MAC Painterly Paint Pot - I love Painterly paint pot it is one of my favourite high end eyeshadow bases, I suffer from oily eye lids and knew in the heat of Greece I'd definitely need something to keep my eye make up from disappearing and Painterly was the obvious choice as it can also be worn alone for a quick and easy make up look, it kept my eye make up in place superbly in the sweltering Greek temperatures. I do have a full review of the Painterly paint pot here if you'd like to read more about it or if you'd like to try it you can find it here on the MAC website for £16.00.
8. MAC Betty Bright Lipstick - When I was sorting through my make up to take on holiday this went straight into the "definitely taking" pile of products because I knew I'd wear it a lot, it's a gorgeous peachy coral lipstick that looks lovely with and without a tan and one I wear so much every summer, it's not extremely bright but it is by no means subtle either and is one of my favourite summer lip shades. The wear time is brilliant, it applies beautifully and wears off well too and feels lovely on the lips, unfortunately this was part of a limited edition collection but if you want to try something similar Costa Chic isn't too far off, it isn't a dupe but it is similar, you can find Costa Chic here on the MAC website for £15.50.
9. Maybelline Colour Tattoo In On & On Bronze - I love the Maybelline Colour Tattoo's they are fantastic for the price and affordable at £4.99, I took 2 with me on holiday in different shades. On and on bronze is a lovely shimmery bronze shade and looks lovely worn alone or with other shadows, I wore it alone mostly and applied it to my lid with a flat shadow brush and blended it out and then blended some under my lower lash line too and added some mascara for a super easy but lovely look. The colour tattoo's don't crease at all on me which is good since I do have oily eye lids but they don't move once they're on, they blend beautifully and after 2 years mine hasn't dried out, I do store all my creme shadows upside down but I think 2 years is brilliant. If you haven't already tried any of the colour tattoo's I'd highly recommend them, theres shades to suit everyone, the neutrals being my favourite but they do have some bright colourful shades if you're more suited to those, if you'd like to try On And On Bronze you can find it here at Superdrug for £4.99.
10. MAC Viva Glam Nicki Lipstick - Again this was straight in the "definitely take" pile when sorting through my make up, I love this lipstick and have worn it so much throughout spring and summer, it is a beautiful coral/pink and on me looks quite a bright pink but on my daughter Cole it is a bright coral shade but looks lovely either way, it really is lovely. The lipstick applies well and has fantastic wear time, it fades away nicely too without leaving an unsightly ring around my lips. It's perfect for the spring/summer and was ideal for me to take on holiday, unfortunately Viva Glam Nicki has been discontinued so there isn't a link but you can sometimes find them at CCO stores or on the occasional MAC counter.
11. Maybelline Colour Tattoo In Creamy Beige - This is the second of the Maybelline Colour Tattoo's I took on holiday, it's a completely different shade to On And On Bronze, it doesn't contain any shimmer but isn't totally matte either it does have a subtle sheen to it but nothing overly shiny. It is great as a base for eye shadow or worn alone, and is a lovely shade, I have a full review including swatches here. This was probably my most worn eye product on holiday it was so easy to use, I wore it alone blended out on my lids with a little under my lower lash line or I wore it on my lids and added a deeper transition shade and a darker colour to the crease it looked lovely worn either way and I know it's something Im going to get a lot of wear out of over the coming months. If you would like to try the colour tattoo in Creamy Beige you can find it here at Superdrug or here at Boots for £4.99.
So that's all the make up I wore whilst I was away on holiday, it isn't too much I suppose and like I said I did take a lot more with me and didn't use some of it which surprised me because I had sorted my make up out a few days before we went away into two piles the "maybe I'll wear it" pile and the "definitely take" pile and I still didn't use quite a lot of what I took, a lesson learned I suppose.
Do you take way too much make up on holiday?
Thank you for reading, much love as always,
✿ This post contains PR samples or gifted items